Change is easy, right?
I mean, you make the decision that you want to change, need to change, and then you just do it. You take the necessary steps, one right after the other until you reach your goal of change. There is nothing else to it… make the decision, take the steps, enjoy the benefits.
So then, what’s the problem??
Change is probably one of the absolute hardest things for most people to wrap their heads around. As humans, we seek out the comfort and stability of what we know, what we are used to. It makes us feel safe. It makes us feel secure. We prefer comfort and security so much over the unknown and change that most people will remain in the unhappiest of situations for way too long, possibly forever. The unhappiest of situations is somehow less frightening, less overwhelming, than the uncertainty of what’s ahead.
Overall, we would rather be miserable than face the unknown.
When you read this, are you shocked? Or does a part of you secretly relate to what I am saying, knowing on some level that it is true? I imagine you are being reminded of the promises you have made to eat healthy, the exercise routines you committed to in the past, the toxic relationships in your life that eat away at your soul. Some of you have probably been quitting your soul sucking job for years or leaving a loveless marriage for decades, yet you can’t seem to get further than a few Google searches and possibly a couple of conversations with friends. Each and every day, the act of staying where you are drains the life right out of you, your tradeoff for not having to move forward into a life of unknowns.
So, what do you do? How do you find a way to feed your soul and create the changes that you must make, instead of feeding your craving for comfort and safety? Well, partially the answer is that you just have to do it. You have to commit each and every day, over and over again, to take the necessary steps and walk right through the fears that are holding you back. This is obviously easier said than done, so I have compiled a list of ways you can support yourself in your journey toward change.
- Light Yourself Up – On a daily basis, do whatever it takes to ignite your inner passions and get you to feel inspired. Perhaps it’s watching motivational videos, listening to Ted Talks or audio books, listening to certain types of music, or doing something creative. What is important is that you get yourself feeling excited and motivated to do the work that it requires to create change. Only you know what causes your heart to stir… figure it out and do it.
- Choose Your Circle Wisely – Who you choose to surround yourself will determine exactly how far you are able to go. My mom would always tell me, “Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you where you are going.” Now, as a teenager, I thought she was crazy, and as an adult, I realize just how wise she was. If you desire change, then befriend those who have created what you are looking to create. Those who you spend time with can be a source of inspiration, support, and example, all of which you need when you are on a journey of change.
- Become a Student – We all want to believe that we can do things on our own, figure it out for ourselves, and find our own way. I know I can absolutely relate to this. I am stubborn and for the longest time, I hated ever admitting that I needed help with anything at all. Do you want to guess where that got me??? The short answer is, it got me nowhere fast, although it did get me quite frustrated and mad. It makes absolutely no sense to try to change into something new without receiving help along the way. Find a mentor who can show you the ropes, support you, and be honest when you need a kick in the ass.
- Fake It Until You Make It – Begin acting in unison with who and what you desire to become. Take the time to learn about your journey ahead and begin implementing what you learn into your life. Whatever change you seek, there are specific behaviors that are common around that change, common to that lifestyle. Discover those behaviors, begin to cultivate what it feels like to act in a new way, embody what you desire and you will be supporting yourself in this process. So many of us falsely believe we have to get to a certain place or prove ourselves in order to begin doing the things we desire, well it isn’t true. Start now.
- Just Do It – At the end of the day it all comes down to action and there is just no way around it. Change is not going to just magically happen. You can’t “want” something into existence, nor can you “want” something out of existence. You have to be willing to take the risks and consistently be in action to get wherever it is you desire to get. Yes, you will be scared, confused, feel lost, and probably even lonely and you still have to remain in action every single day. One foot in front of the other, from this day forward.
Change is easy, right?
You just make the decision that you are going to change and then you take the necessary steps to achieve that goal. Simple… but certainly not easy.
With love and joy,
P.S. Are you ready for change? Then now is your time to register for the Take Back Your Life Online program and take the step to achieve your goals! I can’t wait to see you there and support you on your journey.